Summer Workshop for Teachers (Two weeks: June)
- This two week workshop provides 3 lower division college credits
- Course number/Title is: ED593-J18: ST: GIS/GPS Essentials for EDGE Project
- It has an Earth system science field component and a GIS lab component
- Field work involves observing and understanding glacial, fluvial, mass movement, and coastal processes; training in recording field observations; and special focus on using Global Positioning System (GPS) units.
- GIS lab component involves lectures on concepts of GIS; hands-on experience in importing field data into a GIS; integrating raster and vector data; spatial analysis; and generating a final map product.
The summer workshop
- Establishes a partnership between school teachers and University researchers
- Builds a cohort of teachers with a common network
- Prepares the teachers for receiving more geoscience content later
- Entails an independent project similar to what teachers will later expect their students to carry out.
Summer Workshop Related Materials:
- Summer Workshop Announcement Flyer (PDF 22K)
- Summer Workshop Syllabus and Class Schedule (PDF 81K)
- Summer Workshop Daily Journal by Tom McKenna (PDF 587K)